This post continues the principles being taught by Napolean Hill on how one can “Think and Grow Rich” based on the tips he presented in this video that can be viewed on youtube. Every idea is attributed to this video and to Mr. Hill.
The first principle was the need for one to control and direct their mind by focusing on a definitive purpose in life and focusing their mental energy on achieving that goal. That principle is like the foundation on which the rest of the other 16 principles are built upon. This second post will provide you with principles 2-7 on how one can “Think and Grow Rich.”
Second Principle-Master Mind Alliance
This is where two or more people work in perfect harmony for the attainment of a definite purpose. We’ve heard that two heads are better than one, well Napolean Hill says that in order to achieve success with your purpose, you need to form an alliance with at least one other person that believes in your goals as much as you do. If you dig deep enough, you’ll find that even the greatest success stories were not achieved by just one individual, somewhere along the line they received some form of help that made their goals possible.
Using this principle you can borrow and use the education, experience, influence and even capital of other people to help you achieve your definite purpose in life. You can accomplish more in one year using this principle than if you tried to do it by yourself in a lifetime. If you use this principle to benefit all involved, it will protect you against failure
Master mind alliance is when you work well with others to achieve a goal that all parties agree upon. Form the alliance with at least one person in your immediate family and with at least one person to whom you will be selling your services. Example, one among a few examples provided for the power of the master mind alliance is one that started between Henry Ford and his wife. Mrs. Ford inspired Mr. Ford with faith and courage to go ahead with his horseless carriage.
Third Principle-Habit of going the extra mile
This principle is about rendering more and better service than expected and doing it with a positive mental attitude. Mr Hill. Presents this principle in a formula:
Quality of service
Quantity of service
This will determine the space and compensation you will get in your calling in life. If you want success you should focus on the quality of work you perform, how much work you can complete without sacrificing quality and doing all of this with a positive attitude.
Benefits that Mr. Hill highlighted that one can get from this principle:
- Favourable attention of those who can promote you into a better circumstance
- Will allow you to increase returns on your service
- Make you indispensable
- Excel in your line of work
- Give you preference when work is slack
- Help you benefit by the law of contrast because of the others around you are not moving at the same speed
- Improve your personality and make you likeable
- You will develop a keen and alert imagination in searching to be better
- Inspire you to move on your own personal initiative
This will help you to overcome procrastination and stops you from drifting through life. If you’re in a position where you can’t go the extra mile, change your position so you can.
A suggestion that Mr. Hill provides to his listeners is for one to start to render useful service that you’re not expected to do so without asking for compensation at your place of employment. You should do this with a pleasing attitude and do it for 7 days straight. You will notice a changed atmosphere around you. You will be happier and will not want to give up the habit and it will lead to success in your life.
Fourth Principle-Applied faith
This is having a mental attitude where you clear your mind of all fears and doubts and direct it to attainment in life. You have to believe in your goals and dreams, which is mastering principle # 1 however you then have to apply that belief, showing faith in yourself and your goals.
This is what makes us break the seal of the envelope mentioned in the beginning that opens 6 riches in life such as sound health, peace of mind, labour of love, freedom from fear of worry and material riches of your own choice.
2 ways to use faith to either achieve success or failure:
- For Failure: Reverse gear and dwell on the things you don’t want such as poverty, failure, defeat and this what the majority of people do
- For success: Or take possession of your mind and direct it to think of the 6 riches and you will attract these to your life
Successful people have the capacity to believe and they view problems with a different outlook than others. Start the habit of believing with yourself. Recognize that you were born with the privilege of complete control over your mind and using these keys to success you can take possession of your mind. Know what you want and believe you can and will get it. Give expressions of gratitude daily for what you want even before you get possession of it, possession starts first in the mind. There can be no application of faith without action so when your faith will be tested many times and when you meet defeat, keep on trying.
Fifth Principle-Pleasing Personality
Personality is important, having a positive attitude and how you treat others. Are you apt to listen than to speak, because you should always be willing to learn. A Pleasing personality is ahead of the list of qualities to have for success.
It will distinguish you from everyone else and sets you apart. You should see your personality as others do so you can improve it. You have control over your personality.
Most important trait of your personality is your mental attitude. This can attract people to you or it can repel people from you. If you’re positive other people can pick up on it and it will draw them to you. Your tone, expressions on face, courtesy and consideration you show are factors that will show if you have a positive mental attitude.
Having flexibility of your attitude will help you out in various situations and it will make it impossible for anyone to make you angry or irritated. You can control your reaction by being flexible.
Being sincere will also make you more attractive to other people, you cannot fake sincerity because insincerity carries warning signs that other people recognize.
Negative habits that destroy a pleasing personality:
- Breaking in and running away with conversation
- Sarcasm with insinuations and wise cracks
- Vanity expressed by words or actions
- Indifference in listening when others are speaking
- Attempt to flatter when it is not deserved
- Finding fault
- Challenging those who you do not agree with when its unnecessary
- Giving unsolicited advice when it’s not asked for
- Speaking of your ailments and problems all the time
- Using words and topics unfamiliar to others to feel superior
- Envy of those who are successful
- Bad posture and poor clothing
Self-discipline is mastering negative habits and development and enforcement of positive habits. Master your tongue, think before speaking, and have discipline over emotions such as sex, love and hate.
Gain mastery over your tongue, think first then speak. A loose tongue is ones greatest liability because you can’t undo what is already spoken. Words can destroy all your hard work and ruin any alliances you have worked hard to form.
Mastering your tendency to strike back at someone who may have a real or imaginary cause will also help you throughout your life. Remember that what you do to others will come back to you. Mr. Hill says that if you feel like striking back, write it in sand and then let the tides wash it away.
Mental attitude needs discipline and control at all times. Failure to do this can drive away friends, make peace of mind impossible and cause many issues. Failure to exercise discipline over sex will cause the most problems. This emotion is the most powerful of all emotions. You should also exercise discipline over your stomach. Dieting is key and should be discussed with your doctor. Discipline over politics and religion and allowing others to freely believe what they want is also important especially in today’s diverse society.
Seventh Principle-Positive Mental Attitude
Mr. Hill’s instructions to keep your mind positive and keeping a positive mental attitude
- Learn to adjust yourself to other peoples state of mind and difficulties, to get along peacefully with them and refrain from taking notice of trivial circumstances in your relations with other people by refusing to allow them to become controversial incidence. Great people always avoid small incidence of controversy when possible
- Establish a fixed system to condition your mind at the beginning of each day
- Learn the art of selling yourself to other people by indirection such as asking leading questions which will bring out the reactions you desire, do not argue over unimportant subjects
- Have a good hearty laugh every time you’re irritated or angry. It will help to begin each day with one minute of hearty laughing
- Start each day with an expression of gratitude for adversities, defeats and failures in the past. Give thanks for blessings you expect to receive throughout the day
- Concentrate your attention on the “can do” portion of your problems
- Learn to transmute all unpleasant circumstances into immediate action which calls for a positive mental attitude. When you’re angry switch your mind to some sort of action in connection to your hobby or major purpose in life and keep your mind busy on that subject for 5 minutes
- Recognize that every circumstance that influences your life, use it to make it pay you dividends in one way or another
- Look at your life as a continuous process of education, from good or bad, be on alert for gains of wisdom
- Make the world fit your own pattern, begin with self improvement to make you more opened minded and patient
- Express gratitude twice daily for your recognition that you’ve been given complete control of your mind
- Go out of your way to comment enthusiastically on the good qualities of those you work with, then observe how they will start to concentrate on your good qualities
- Accept all criticism of yourself for self examination
- Do not accept anything from life or anyone else you do not desire
- Two kinds of circumstances that can cause you worry, those you can and cannot do something about
- Keep your mind engaged on what you desire most
- If you feel sorry for yourself, look around until you find someone worst than yourself and then help them. What you do for another, you do for yourself
- Choose someone who you consider the type of person you would like to be and then emulate them
- Cultivate your tone of voice so you have a pleasing musical sound, record samples of your voice daily while you practice expressing yourself in a friendly sounding voice
- Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve. Write this and display it somewhere you can see everyday
You are the only person that can provide you with a positive mental attitude. Lack of self-discipline and self-control will lead to self-destruction.
These are Mr. Hills great insight on Principles 2-7 on how to “Think and Grow Rich.” Again, these tips work well even if your main goal in life is not monetary. These principles in general are great for success in whatever you desire to accomplish out of life. Mr. Hill’s principles focus a lot on fixing ones mind and attitude. Our mind, thoughts and beliefs are the starting place for success but without any action to back it up, it will all be in vain. I do not believe in any concepts that work just based on positive thinking, it has to be backed up with action. Mr. Hill presents great points on why one should have a positive attitude and mental state. He also presents tangible actions one should take to reinforce the mental work you have engaged in. Having a great attitude without doing any hard work is actually a contradictory state of being. A great attitude and a positive mental state would include realizing the importance and necessity of hard work. So let us fix our attitudes and proceed to work harder and smarter based on the these principles Mr. Hill has shared.
I will post the final article containing the eighth-seventeenth principles shortly. In the meantime, have you implemented any of the 1-7th principles as yet? Have you noticed any changes in your outlook on life or even your purpose in life?